The Australian Management Committee oversees the scientific and operational conduct of ASPREE in Australia, including adherence to protocol, ethics and financial management and reports to the International Steering Committee.
Lead investigator in Australia:
Professor John McNeil leads Monash University’s School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, the second largest school at the university, which conducts epidemiologic and clinical trials in all areas of medicine. He has been an investigator on the 2nd Australian National Blood Pressure (ANBP2) trial, the ASFAST and NEMESS studies and is responsible for designing and planning the ASPREE Study. John has been involved in a variety of leadership roles including directorships of Austin Health, Alfred Health, the Australian Institute of Health & Welfare and the Metropolitan Ambulance Service. He is currently the Scientific Secretary of the International Society of Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy and is a member of the Alfred Research Council, the Austin Life Sciences Board, The Royal Melbourne Hospital Research Grants Committee and the selection committee for the Victorian Premier’s Award for Health & Medical Research.
John oversees the central co-ordination of all Australian ASPREE sites and sub-studies to ensure progress of the trial.
Lead investigator in the USA:
Professor Anne Murray is the US ASPREE PI. She earned her M.D. from University of Minnesota, and completed her internal medicine residency at Mayo Clinic, Rochester and Geriatrics fellowship and M.Sc. in Epidemiology at Harvard. She is a geriatrician/ internist and epidemiologist at Hennepin County Medical Center, and Professor of Medicine (Adjunct Neurology) at the University of Minnesota.
Professor Murray is Medical Director of the Berman Center and conducts research in the epidemiology of cognitive impairment (dementia). She is also the PI for the BRain IN Kidney Disease (BRINK) Study and previous Midwest PI for the ACCORD Memory in Diabetes study.
She oversees the central co-ordination of the ASPREE study in USA and works with 34 US collaborative centres to ensure progress of the trial.
- Professor John McNeil (Principal Investigator and Chair) – Head of the Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University and Principal Investigator of ASPREE in Australia
- A/Professor Robyn Woods (Executive Officer and Assistant Chair) – Associate Professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Executive Officer of the ASPREE study and Director of the ASPREE Healthy Ageing Biobank
- Professor Walter Abhayaratna – Director of Clinical Trials at Canberra Hospital, and Professor of Medicine at the Australian National University (ANU)
- Professor Lawrie Beilin – Chair of the Royal Perth Hospital Medical Research Foundation
- Dr Trevor Lockett – Theme Leader Colorectal Cancer, CSIRO
- Professor Geoffrey Donnan – Director of The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health and Professor of Neurology, University of Melbourne and the Austin Hospital
- A/Professor Peter Gibbs – Oncologist at The Royal Melbourne Hospital and an Associate Professor at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
- Professor Colin Johnston – Senior Principal Research Fellow at the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, Honorary Professor of Medicine at Monash University and an Emeritus Professor of the University of Melbourne
- Professor Mark Nelson – Professor and Chair, Discipline of General Practice, and Senior Professorial Fellow, Menzies Research Institute, both at the University of Tasmania, and an Honorary Associate, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University
- Professor Chris Reid – Associate Director of the Monash Centre of Cardiovascular Research and Education in Therapeutics, Monash University
- Professor Nigel Stocks – Head of the Discipline of General Practice at the University of Adelaide and acting Deputy Head of the School of Population Health and Clinical Practice
- Professor Elsdon Storey – Professor of Neuroscience at Monash University, Central Clinical School (Alfred Hospital campus)
- Professor Andrew Tonkin – Consultant Cardiologist at Austin Health and Head of the Cardiovascular Research Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University
- Professor Rory Wolfe – Professor of Biostatistics in the School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine at Monash University
- Professor John Zalcberg – Member of the Victorian Policy Advisory Committee on Clinical Practice and Technology (VPACT), Member of the Consultative Council of the Victorian Cancer Agency (VCA) and Head of Cancer at the School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University
- Professor Danny Liew – Professor of Clinical Outcomes Research and Co-Director, Monash Centre of Cardiovascular Research and Education in Therapeutics, Monash University and a consultant physician at The Alfred Hospital